About the PLAYHOUSE Whitley Bay
This 'state of the art' £8.5m refurbished venue is the flagship of a major re-generation project, breathing new life into this famous coastal resort. The venue boasts 638 luxury auditorium seats, a 10 seater corporate viewing suite and a contemporary look and feel to its bars and lounge area, which also features a superb sea view.
Having opened in September 2009, it boasts an elegant new glass foyer, front of house facilities, box office and bar facilities; in addition it also features a redesigned auditorium, new company room and chorus rooms.
The transformation of the venue, situated on Marine Avenue, is a key part of North Tyneside Council's £64million regeneration programme for Whitley Bay. It has also become an integral part of the local community programme, regularly playing host to productions from local artistic and drama groups.
The theatre has had a long history and has been an important part of the lives of many people living in and visiting the town.
To commemorate these memories, a time capsule in the form of a wooden box has been made by longtime theatre supporter Rid Stokoe, and filled with a collection of memorabilia from it's proud past.
A specially-commissioned installation by artist Rolf Wojciechowski, is proudly displayed in the North corridor of the theatre to mark the re-opening of the Playhouse Whitley Bay in 2009.
View images of the time capsule installation.
The re-generation of the PLAYHOUSE has been part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
The PLAYHOUSE is managed by SMG, who locally own and manage Newcastle's 11,000+ seater Metro Radio Arena.
For enquiries on hiring the venue call: 0191 643 2093
For corporate or advertising enquiries call: 0191 643 2095
Key PLAYHOUSE Features
- Five dressing rooms (all en-suite) and one green room/company office
- Sound and lighting available
- Video production and screen available
- Show fold-back system and comms
- Orchestra pit options available
- Stage dimensions - 9m wide x 8.7m deep
- Wing space - SL 4.5m SR 4.2m
- Orchestra pit dimensions - 7.8m wide x 2.8m deep
- Total flying height - 11m
- Full counter weight system 30 bars
Who We Are (SMG)
Professional support from a world class operator.
Booking your event in an SMG-managed and NorthTyneside Council-owned venue provides extensive benefits:
- Extensive marketing of your event utilising the resources of a professional and experienced team, who also market the Metro Radio Arena in the North East
- Financial security through dealing with the world’s largest and best facility management company
- Excellent technical support and event management
- Use of a fully refurbished and contemporary facility which forms the hub of a major redevelopment project for the area
Further PLAYHOUSE Whitley Bay Information
For general enquiries contact 0844 493 4567
For event booking enquiries contact Phil Smith on 0191 643 2093
For further information on advertising and/or marketing opportunities and corporate packages at the PLAYHOUSE Whitley Bay, please call the marketing department on: 0191 643 2095